The Prime Minister of Russia Dmitry Medvedev has approved a list of 19 universities and four research organizations which are granted the right to independently award scientific degrees of candidate and doctor of sciences, as well as to establish dissertation councils. The corresponding decree was published (in Russian) on the website of the Russian government.
According to the document, the list includes 11 universities in the category “national research university”, three universities in the category “federal university”, and four universities having the right to independently develop and establish educational standards.
The National Research Nuclear University “MEPhI” is in the number of universities granted the right to award academic degree.
In the list of higher education institutions includes:
- Belgorod State National Research University;
- Kazan Federal University;
- Moscow State Institute of International Relations;
- Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology;
- Higher School of Economics;
- National University of Science and Technology, MISiS;
- National Research Tomsk Polytechnic University;
- Novosibirsk National Research State University;
- Peoples’ Friendship University of Russia;
- ITMO University;
- Ural Federal University;
- Southern Federal University;
- Moscow Power Engineering Institute;
- Perm National Research Polytechnic University;
- Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration;
- Mendeleev University of Chemical Technology of Russia;
- St. Petersburg Mining University;
- Financial University under the Government of the Russian Federation.
The list of the scientific organizations includes: the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research (JINR), Ioffe Institute, Kurnakov Institute of General and Inorganic chemistry, and the Institute of Chemical Biology and Fundamental Medicine (Siberian branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences).
Organizations will be able to independently award academic degrees from the 1st of September 2017.